Google+

February 6, 2014

Most Wanted: American Apparel

This past holiday season, my family and I took advantage of an amazing Groupon for American Apparel. You could either pay $20 and get $40 in store credit, or pay $40 and get $80 in store credit.

Obviously, I pounced on the $40 deal. And my family was kind enough to purchase a second Groupon for the absolutely necessary expansion of my closet (just did a HUGE purge... rather not discuss it, too depressing).

But what to get?

I'm kind of in-between sizes at the moment (10 lbs-ish away from fitting perfectly into all of my clothes - damn you five holiday dinners in a row), and so I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to purchasing anything that's going to attempt to keep my "rolls" in check. I tried on a few things, but none of them fit like I'd hoped.

The long coveted Disco Pants that supposedly work miracles on everyone else, looked awkward on me; the pockets sat too high. The Riding Pant was my next go-to, but even it disappointed me by being too long. I know I could've hemmed them, but the construction of the pants would've given me away. Finally, after over an hour of deliberating, I settled on a pair of super comfy and stretchy Dark Wash Indigo Easy Jeans, which made for a perf buttox. With my second Groupon, I purchased two bodysuits - The Nylon Tricot Micro-Mesh Gloria-V Bodysuit in Black that I've been fawning over for more than 3 years, as well as The Fiona Bodysuit in Black.

Ok, so I wasn't expecting to get two bodysuits, let alone two items in the one colour that has completely overrun my winter wardrobe, and I wasn't expecting to put any extra money down on top of the Groupons, but let me tell you - it was worth it. With my curvy proportions, I often find it difficult to find bodysuits (or really any type of clothing) that accommodate my... assets. And so, to find something that not only fit me, but also provided enough lift (Enough to go braless! Eek!), and that wouldn't effectively put my nips on display?

Jackpot, baby. Give me every colour you got!

Still, there were a few other items I considered getting, but that just didn't pan out.

The Wide Leg Pleated Chiffon Pant Preferably in Magenta. I mean, it's a Radiant Orchid-esque, sheer, pleated, wide-leg pant! SO ON TREND IT HURTS. They're actually ethereally gorgeous in person.

The Cotton Spandex Sleeveless Thong Bodysuit in Red. Unfortunately, the only ones they had left in my size had broken or missing crotch snaps. Boo hoo.

The Petite Unisex Long Wool Coat in either Deep Sapphire/Peanut, Oxford, Sunset, or Menthe. I am so in love with this coat it isn't even funny. It looks so warm and cozy, and the colours just take it up enough notches to be a closet staple. I wish I wasn't so broke at the moment, or I would've been all over this one. Still looking for a nice wool coat to carry me through the cold and semi-cold seasons.

The Hologram Leather Circle Skirt in Silver Foil Lambskin. I can't even verbalize my love for this. I am so tempted to just buy the materials and pay my sister to make one. However, circle skirts are rarely flattering on me. So in this case, I think it's best if I just admire from afar...

The Ponte Gloria V Skater Dress in Black, Syrah, or Lapis. The pictures really don't do this dress justice. Just like its bodysuit better-half, this dress suited me like none other. Unfortunately, due to a very open back, I found I had to keep adjusting the sleeves to ensure that I wouldn't be exposed at any given time. I figured fixing the sleeves every 1-5 mins would be bothersome, and a friend's admittance of purchase regret confirmed this. In the end, I put this one down, and slowly (sadly) walked away.

Cotton Spandex Jersey Gloria-V Bodysuit in Poppy/Melange Green/Raspberry. Oh my goodness gracious me, this is the perfect colour combo for spring! I didn't see this one in the store, and it looks to be almost completely sold out online. Still worth a mention though! Just imagining it with the chiffon pants... omgomgomg.


What are you coveting from American Apparel? Or any store, really.

-Shopaholic




No comments:

Post a Comment